I wanted to start this post jokingly with “I’m sorry, I politely disagree.” Scott Williams published a post called “Why It Sucks To Be Canadian” and as a proud Canadian, I have to answer. Scott’s post is about environmental factors affecting self-esteem. Mine is a reaction to the title of his post.
I am proud to be Canadian because:
- Americans sew Canadian Flags on their backpacks when travelling. Our reputation for politeness pays.
- We are well respected diplomatically, receiving two Nobel Peace prizes.
- We produce plenty of famous musicians: Neil Young; Joni Mitchell; Avril Lavigne; Justin Bieber; Shania Twain; Nelly Furtado; Broken Social Scene; Rush; Céline Dion; Bryan Adams; Sum41 …
- We produce plenty of famous actors: Keanu Reeves; Jim Carrey; Michael Fox; Pamela Anderson; Howie Mandel; Elisha Cuthbert; William Shatner; Donald Sutherland; Kiefer Sutherland; Mary Pickford; Walter Pidgeon …
- We are an example for a successful universal healthcare system.
- We are the second largest country in the world.
- Quality of life in Canada is among the highest in the world. Compare this to France where they are known to be assertive yet show up as a country with one of the world’s highest rates of chronic depression.
- Canadians are innovators. Alexander Graham Bell and the telephone; James Naismith and Basketball; William Osler and medical residency…
Canada is a great country producing great people doing great things!